2222 Industrial Drive
Wadena, MN 56482
LSCI: Life Space Crisis Intervention
Our staff at Leaf River/ White Pine/ and Elm Tree Academy have been specially trained in LSCI (Life Space Crisis Intervention), to help our students learn from their strong feelings and emotions. Life Space Crisis Intervention is a therapeutic, verbal strategy for intervention with students in crisis. It is conducted at the time the crisis occurs or as soon after as possible. The process uses students’ reactions to a stressful event to (a) change behavior, (b) enhance self-esteem, (c) reduce anxiety, and (d) expand understanding and insight into their own and others’ behaviors and feelings. LSCI can be used with children and youth in situations in which reactions to stress is a concern, and with students who are unable to appropriately control or manage their own behavior.
The purpose of Leaf River/White Pine/Elm Tree Academies (LRA/WPA/ETA) is to provide an effective academic and behavioral program in a safe, structured and encouraging environment for students’ with emotional and behavioral difficulties. This is achieved by using a system wide approach that utilizes Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS). Our purpose is also to provide support to the families and school districts referring students to our programs. Students attending Leaf River and White Pine Academy will also have support to meet their goals in a nurturing, therapeutic environment in addition to the educational setting.
LRA/WPA/ETA is a PBIS school that will work to provide a safe and positive learning environment that empowers students to develop the skills needed to achieve educational success. We believe that:
- The relationship between staff and students sets the stage for change.
- Every student has a right to learn and should be given the opportunity to do so.
- A safe environment for students and staff is a prerequisite for learning.
- Students are responsible for their own behavior and learning.
- Students’ needs are best met with individualization and flexibility of programming when appropriate.
- Students learn best when the environment provides consistency and stability.